Mapoon Aboriginal Shire Council
|Sub Category:||Aboriginal Community Council | Local Government|
|Location:||Mapoon, Queensland, Australia|
|Summary Information: |
|The Mapoon Aboriginal Shire Council is the local government body for the Mapoon area. It was officially opened on 18 November 2003. |
Council elections under the auspices of the Aboriginal Coordinating Council (ACC) were held for the first time in March 2000, following which the ACC formally recognised Mapoon as a Deed of Grant in Trust (DOGIT) community.
|Detailed Information: |
|The township of Mapoon was formerly a Presbyterian mission established in 1891 with the aim of preventing the local people, in particular the children, from maintaining language and culture. By 1907, under the Reformatories Act, it was operating as an industrial school with dormitories filled with forcibly removed children from all over the Cape. In the 1950s, the discovery of bauxite saw mining leases given to Comalco Limited and Alcan. The Mission announced closure and residents were told to go elsewhere. Many refused to go, which in 1963 led to the Department of Native Affairs deploying police to burn the houses and remove the people to New Mapoon. By 1973 people were returning to the site.|