|The Office of Spatial Data Management (OSDM) is hosted by Geoscience Australia but operates independently of it. Its role is to:|
'- provide administrative support to the Spatial Data Policy Executive (SDPE) and the Spatial Data Management Group (SDMG);
- implement the workplan and manage the working groups established by SDMG;
- facilitate sharing of experience and expertise between Australian Government agencies;
- provide technical advice to the SDMG;
- promote efficient use of Australian Government spatial data assets;
- represent the Australian Government's interests in spatial data coordination and access arrangements with the States and Territories; and
- foster the development of a private sector spatial information industry.'
(Office of Spatial Data Mangement, 'About OSDM': http://www.osdm.gov.au/osdm/about.html (at 3 October 2005)).