Kogarah Municipal Council Statement of Commitment
|Date: ||1 January 1988|
|Sub Category:||Statement of Commitment/Intention|
|Location:||Sydney, New South Wales, Australia|
|Subject Matter:||Reconciliation | Local Government|
|Summary Information: |
|The Kogarah Municipal Council Statement of Commitment was made during Reconciliation Week in 1998.|
|Detailed Information: |
|The Statement of Commitment reads:|
· Kogarah Council acknowledges the Indigenous Australians in this council area the Dharug and Dharawal, were the first people of this land and have survived European settlement for more than two centuries. The arrival of Europeans brought massive change to the land and its Indigenous people.
· Kogarah Council acknowledges and grieves for the loss by the Indigenous people of their traditional land, their children and their lives.
· Kogarah Council celebrates the survival of Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander People to live according to their own values and customs subject to the law.
· Kogarah Council commits itself to respecting recognising and preserving Aboriginal sacred sites and special places.
· Kogarah Council recognises the valuable contribution to the St George Region made by Aboriginal & Torres Strait Islander People and looks forward to a future of mutual respect and harmony.
· Kogarah Council supports Indigenous and non-Indigenous People working together for reconciliation.