|Print this page|
Barengi Gadjin Land Council Aboriginal Corporation
|Sub Category:||Prescribed Body Corporate | Aboriginal Corporation|
|Click this link to search this location with google maps|
|Legal Status:||Registered as an Aboriginal Corporation by the Off|
|Barengi Gadjin Land Council Aboriginal Corporation is the registered native title body corporate for the consent native title determination in Clarke on behalf of the Wotjobaluk, Jaadwa, Jadawadjali, Wergaia and Jupagulk Peoples v State of Victoria  FCA 1795 (No.1) (13 December 2005).|
Barengi Gadjin Land Council Aboriginal Corporation was incorporated on 16 March 2005. The objects of the Council as set out in the Rules of Association are:
'(1) To ensure that the responsibilities and duties that arise under Wotjobaluk law and custom are carried out in relation to:
(a) the protection of and caring for country;
(b) the protection and continuance of Wotjobaluk law and culture.
(2) To represent Wotjobaluk interests in negotiations concerning native title matters and to hold such lands and monies that might be granted in accordance with such negotiations;
(3) To represent the Wotjobaluk in any negotiations concerning Indigenous Land Use Agreements […].
(4) Generally to administer the Wotjobaluk native title rights and interests in the subject land in accordance with custom and tradition for the benefit of the Wotjobaluk.
(5) To hold the Wotjobaluk lands and waters in trust for the benefit of the Wotjobaluk.
(6) To be a prescribed body corporate for the purpose of being the subject of a determination under Section 56 or 57 of the Native Title Act 1993;
(7) To perform the functions of a registered native title body corporate under the Native Title Act 1993 as agent or trustee for the holders of native title under the Native Title Act 1993;
(8) To enter into and administer any agreements reached in settlement of the Wotjobaluk peoples' native title claim, relating to the areas depicted in the maps at Schedule C.'
('Wotjobaluk' measn the Wotjobaluk, Jaadwa, Jadawadjali Wergaia and Jupagulk native title holders as defined in their native title claim in the Federal Court, Number VID6002/98)).
Membership of the Association is open to all adult Aboriginal persons who are Native Title Holders, being those who can demonstrate descent from one of the recognised apical ancestors (set out in Schedule B of the Rules).
Was this useful? Click here to fill in the ATNS survey