printable versionPrint this page

Lake Tyers Aboriginal Reserve

Category: Place
Location:Gippsland region, Victoria, Australia
Alternative Names:
  • Bung Yarnda
  • Summary Information:
    The Lake Tyers Mission Station was established in 1861 by the Church of England Mission. In 1863, the Victorian Colonial Government set aside 2000 acres of land as the Lake Tyers Reserve. In the early 1900s, residents from Ramahyuck moved to Lake Tyers as did those from Lake Condah and Coranderk after these stations were closed. By 1962 the State Government had announced plans to close Lake Tyers. In 1971, the Government returned the Lake Tyers Reserve, including 4000 acres, to the local Aboriginal community under the Aboriginal Lands Act 1970.

    Related Entries

    Organisation
  • Aboriginal Advancement League
  • Central Board to Watch over the Interests of Aborigines
  • Lake Tyers Aboriginal Trust
  • Event
  • Lake Tyers Land Transfer
  • Legislation
  • Aboriginal Lands Act 1970 (Vic)

  • References

    Resource
    Australasian Legal Information Institute (1970) Aboriginal Lands Act 1970 (Vic)

    Google
    Top of page

    Was this useful? Click here to fill in the ATNS survey